Banner Elk is the center of The High Country and the “Ski capitol of the South”. It is a bustling community filled with year round outdoor activities such as hiking the Appalachian Trail, mountain biking and cycling, skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing, white-water rafting, trout and fly fishing, golfing and horseback riding. It is also central to numerous festivals throughout the year and close to several local wineries, breweries and a Llama farm. The Highlands of western North Carolina is the place to be for year round recreation!
Appalachian Trail Shuttle
We are located only 9.4 miles from the Appalachian Trail! Enjoy a section hike that lasts for a day or up to 5 days. Shuttle service (fees apply) is available for our guests to various points on the trail from Erwin, TN to Damascus, VA. Free shuttle service is available for thru-hikers where the AT crosses over Hwy 19E, with at least one night’s stay at Harmony Hostel.
- Highland Games (July)
- Beech Mountain Beer Festival (Jan)
- Flat Top Brewing Company (Year-round)
- Linville Falls Winery (Year-round)
- Beech Mountain Ski Resort (November-March)
- Sugar Mountain Ski Resort (November-March)
- Appalachian Ski Resort (November –March)
- Woolly Worm Festival (October)
- Oz Festival at Beech Mountain (October)